Recognition of Academic Qualifications for Immigrants with documentation
In Europe, the recognition of foreign qualifications is regulated by the Lisbon Convention, Treaty of the Council of Europe on 11 April 1997, available at http://www.coe.int/it/web/conventions/full-list/-/conventions/treaty/165.
For further information concerning assistance on issues related to the recognition (within the State) of diplomas and periods of study undertaken in other countries, we refer to the NARIC network (National Academic Recognition Information Centres), the centres of which are available at the following web page: www.enic-naric.net
With regard to the European Qualifications Framework for Lifelong Learning (EQF), you can visit the specific web page of the European Commission: http://ec.europa.eu/eqf/documentation_en.htm.
The following information shows the details of the model for the recognition of foreign academic qualifications that has been activated in Italy by the International Telematic University UNINETTUNO. This model can be easily adaptable to other countries.
RECOGNITION OF FOREIGN QUALIFICATIONS IN ITALY
With regard to the recognition of foreign qualifications in Italy, you can visit the web page of CIMEA - Information Centre on Academic Mobility and Equivalence: www.cimea.it.
The standard path for the equivalence of foreign qualifications is governed by Articles 2 and 3 of the Law 148/02, which has been ratified by the Convention on the recognition of qualifications concerning higher education in the European Region, realised at Lisbon on 11 April 1997.
The qualifications recognition path envisages two main steps:
- The request for a Declaration of Value for the obtained qualification through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Italy, or the Italian Embassy in the country of origin; in the case of the qualifications recognition for the holders of international protection, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs provides support for the recognition, through the Office VII, where it will be possible to present the following documentation:
- the original of the Title of Study plus a copy;
- a copy of an identity document and a document certifying the status of a holder of international protection;
- application for the Declaration of Value signed by the applicant;
- postal address of the applicant;
- telephone number;
- email account;
- free-form signed delegation to another person or association that will follow the practice (if necessary)
- once obtained the Declaration of Value, the student will be able to submit his/her application for qualification recognition to the chosen University. According to Art. 2 and 3 of the Law 148/02, the Universities, in their autonomy, evaluate foreign academic titles in order to issue the Italian equivalent; any recognition is evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
In this section the following sheets are available::